I don’t know how this recipe came into our house. It’s not Italian, though the ingredients are mediterranean, and I never had it growing up. But it quickly became a favorite. I wonder if it’s a variation of an Indian dish? In any case, it’s simple to make, and tastes great.
What you need
Spinach, 1 large bunch
Chickpeas (garbanzos), ½ to ¾ can
Garlic, 1 clove
Olive oil and butter
How you make it
- Soak the spinach in a bath of cold water to let the grit settle out. Squeeze out the water and chop coarsely.
- Finely chop the garlic, and simmer it in a pan with a tablespoon or two of olive oil and a small pat of butter.
- Add the chick peas and cook until well warmed.
- Add the spinach and cook until just wilted.
- Remove from heat and stir in cubed or crumbled feta.